[Digikam-devel] OpenIcc List

fj.cruz at supercable.es fj.cruz at supercable.es
Tue Nov 22 07:42:05 GMT 2005

---- Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at free.fr> escribió:
> Le Mardi 22 Novembre 2005 01:06, PLinnell a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just a short note to let you know there is an #openicc channel on
> > freenode.net and also the openicc list should be of interest to you
> > folks as well.
> >
> > http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/OpenIcc
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Peter
> > Scribus Team
>
> OK. Thanks for the url.
>
> Important question : what the way to make a free download area of ICC profiles
> for digital still cameras, screens, printers, etc ? I think that it's really
> complicated to find an ICC profile to download on the web. digikam users need
> to have this files easily....
>
> Sure there are certainly any copyright problems... What do you think ?
>
> --
> Gilles Caulier

Certainly, it's difficult to find icc files through the web. I have a lot of them that I've obtained from Window$ and MaCOS drivers and apps for devices like printers, scanners and cameras. Almost every icc profile has a copyright and I don't know how restrictive it is (for free download/distribution).

There are some "generic" profiles, like sRGB ones, that are for free downloads through the Internet (e.g. from the Internet Color Consortium www.color.org), but this is unusual.

So, I recommend this: if you want to get icc profiles for your devices (printer, scanner, camera, monitor, ...) get them from their own Win/Mac drivers or apps cd's or download them from their respectives webs. Then you can do this:

1. Install this apps with wine, it's not required that this apps work ok, you only need the installed files to look for the icc files.
2. Use cabextract (for Win$) or unstuff (MaC) for decompress/extract profiles from files like *.cabs, *.sit and *.hqx.

One more option is to look for icc files in p2p, but we must to remember that this can be ilegal in some countries.

Paco Cruz.