[Digikam-devel] Some thoughts on digiKam development direction

Tom Albers tomalbers at kde.nl
Fri Nov 18 20:52:28 GMT 2005

Op vrijdag 18 november 2005 21:25, schreef Vardhman Jain:
> for digikam and have more of a user opinion, some kipi-plugins are
> basically not providing up to the mark service.

We share the kipi plugins with ~5 other apps. This list is meant for digikam
development and not for kipi-development, please post your comment to the
other list.

> I include my own flickr
> export in this category.

Well, I guess you know how it works....

> Sometimes I feel digikams good feature being
> ignored due to simplicity of other apps and kipi-interface.
> Time and again there has been discussion about incorporating digikam tags
> in to kipi-plugins, there is no good(?) solution yet.

Again, currently me, Joern and Gilles are working on digiKam, we can not
maintain, digikam, showfoto, 20 digikamimageplugins. 10 kipi-plugins,
website, answer questions on irc and read everything on three mailinglists.

If you have a solution for above case, make it, we dont have time.

> This point has been discussed already but I will put it in a different
> context, the search feature in digikam is terrific, After searching the
> images I would probably like to 'apply' some kipi-plugin on them for e.g I
> might like to export them to flickr or mail them or something in similar
> way the image selection dialog for kipi-plugins need to changed and
> re-worked to use the best of digikams feature like searching etc.

The kipi-interface of digikam is not prepared to pass through the search
results atm. I tried to fix that but I have failed, so maybe I will give it a
new try in a couple of months...

So, it is nice that everyone files all kinds of 'i need this', 'i want to
point out that...' and other good ideas, but unless we double the development
team we might not make the progress everyone expects.

Tom