[Digikam-devel] Some thoughts on digiKam development direction

Vardhman Jain vardhman at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 20:25:58 GMT 2005

On 18/11/05, Gerhard Kulzer <gerhard at kulzer.net> wrote:

> We have a great program here, probably the best in its category,
> definitively
> the best for me, and we should be very proud of it. As we are going for
> big
> steps with 0.8 and 0.9, I want to share some thoughts of mine.
> follow the averaged direction of the developers which move like a flock of
> birds?
> 5. Exporting pics to galleries (remote, local and Flikr... )
> (people are proud of their photos and want to show them, and want to show
> off.
> The looks [graphical presentation] of galleries is very important.
> Galleries
> produced by digiKam are telling of the Linux world as a whole as well! We
> can
> and must improve here, I'm working on it.)
>
> Would like to second on that point, I have very little coding experience
for digikam and have more of a user opinion, some kipi-plugins are basically
not providing up to the mark service. I include my own flickr export in this
category. Sometimes I feel digikams good feature being ignored due to
simplicity of other apps and kipi-interface.
Time and again there has been discussion about incorporating digikam tags in
to kipi-plugins, there is no good(?) solution yet.
This point has been discussed already but I will put it in a different
context, the search feature in digikam is terrific, After searching the
images I would probably like to 'apply' some kipi-plugin on them for e.g I
might like to export them to flickr or mail them or something in similar way
the image selection dialog for kipi-plugins need to changed and re-worked to
use the best of digikams feature like searching etc.

Thanks for letting me share my ideas :)

Regards,
Vardhman
--