[Digikam-devel] Creating 0.9.0 branch ?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at free.fr
Fri Nov 18 06:37:17 GMT 2005

Le Vendredi 18 Novembre 2005 00:01, Tom Albers a écrit :
> Op donderdag 17 november 2005 08:33, schreef Gilles CAULIER:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We have already discuted about future svn branch to use on the future,
> > especially to use :
> >
> > - '/trunk/extragear/graphics/digikam/' for future unstable 0.9.0 serie
> > - '/tags/digikam' for stable serie
> > - '/branches/digikam' unused.
> >
> > Fix me if something is wrong here...
> >
> > But, I have a _MAJOR_ problem on my computer_S_. I use 2 computers to
> > develop digikam &co.
> >
> > - My laptop.
> > - My office computer.
> >
> > The are large source code repository to sync between these computer, with
> > 3 branchs :
> >
> > - current (svn)
> > - 0.8.1 (unstable using image properties sidebar and RAW file support)
> > - 0.9.0 (unstable like 0.8.1 + Dimage implementation instead imlib2)
> >
> > This situation is very complex and infernal to manage. I can't continue
> > to work like this without _LOST_ any codes somewhere !!!
> >
> > To clean up future digikam developement (and my computers (:=)))), I
> > propose to create a new 0.9.0 branch (and only one) in svn with only my
> > unstable 0.9.0 implementation and forget definitivly my 0.8.1
> > implementation for the future. This is want mean that image properties
> > sidebar and raw files support on IE will coming only with 0.9.0 release !
> > 0.8.x will staying on trunk and only bugs fix will be commited into.
> >
> > Yes, Tom, this is want mean too that we reproduce the 0.7.x -> 0.8.x
> > branchs way, and especially the branch merging when we will moving 0.9.0
> > branch to trunk.
> >
> > To resume my idea :
> >
> > - '/trunk/extragear/graphics/digikam/' == 0.8.x serie with bugfix.
> > - '/tags/digikam' == only tagging releases.
> > - '/branches/digikam' == 0.9.0 unstable.
>
> I dont agree. The imlib2 replacement is a very big change, which should be
> released seperately in the 0.9.0 version.

Well, 0.8.x staying depend of imlib2 ! only 0.9.x (unstable use DImage
instead).

> For almost half a year we can not develop new code because of the upcomming
> release, so I want 0.8.1 to at least be free to commit some new features to
> which will be difficult to do when 0.9.0 has changed a lot already.
>
> So, I prefer a branch for 0.8.x serie and trunk for 0.9.0 and backport
> bugfixes. I would prefer if someone stood up in this room who is willing to
> do that.
>
> I do not see any relation between your two computers, the two projects you
> are working

There is just one project : digikam.

> on and the two branches. In other words using trunk / branch or
> branch / trunk does not make a difference in this mess..

Excepted for i18n. What's the rules about .po files updating using branch
instead trunk for stable release ?

I'm sure that trunk is linked to i18n area using ato script. What the goal for
branches about ? If you push stable to a branch, i18n will not be broken ?