[Digikam-devel] preparing the future : creating a new 0.9.0 branch ?

Tom Albers tomalbers at kde.nl
Wed Nov 2 20:13:26 GMT 2005

Op dinsdag 01 november 2005 10:43, schreef Gilles Caulier:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently working on DImage support in digiKam and DIgikamImagePlugins.
> It's a large task to do, and i'm not sure to put it in 0.8.1. From last
> Renchi tarball available, there are any tasks to do:
>
> - Finish DImage implementation (PNG/PNM support in 16/bits/color/pixels)
> - Finish metat data support (IPTC on TIFF files)
> - Add RAW files support.
> - Finish to port Image Editor core using DImage.
> - Porting all algorithms used in image plugin (core and
> DigikamImagePlugins) - Porting digikam/libs/filters.
>
> Question : we can create a new 0.9.0 branch dedicaced to DImage support.
> I'm not sure if this is the best solution because we need to maintain 2
> branchs at the same time (trunk: 0.8.x and branch: 0.9.0). Also, merging
> 0.9.0 branch to trunk will not trivial (dixit when Tom have merged 0.8.0
> branch to trunk (:=))))
>
> What do you think about ?

I think merging is really, really bad, so I think that we should do the
following:

- branch trunk to the stable branch
- start converting to trunk
- do bugfixing in trunk and immediatly backport those to the stable branch.

Releases in the 0.8 series come from that brach and 0.9 (?) will be trunk.

I am not in favor of doing this before we have doen some bugfixing in 0.8 to
prevent backporting a lot.

Tom
--
Prevent Repetitive Strain Injury, use RSIBreak, http://www.omat.nl