[Digikam-devel] 0.8 branch

Renchi Raju renchi at pooh.tam.uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 23 22:39:42 BST 2005

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:

>> Which is pretty weird because we depend on the locale for that afaik.
>
> Sorry, I was too quick to conclusions. Locale seems to be detected
> properly, in ~/.kde/share/config/digikamrc:
> [General Settings]
> Locale=pl_PL    <- which on *nix should automatically means iso-8859-2
>
> Still, entry was broken. I understand currently descriptions are stored
> in utf-8 (previously in iso-8859-2). It looked like entry was passed to
> display as utf-8 while screen font is generally in iso-8859-2 encoding.

the locale is no longer stored in digikamrc, but in the database. you can
get the current locale using:
sqlite3 /pathto/digikam3.db "SELECT * FROM Settings WHERE keyword='Locale';"

the utf-8 usage is internal to QString and that shouldn't affect the display.
if your font has the glyph for the character, it will render correctly.

i'm trying to figure out where the breakage occured. can you try entering
a new comment with non-ascii characters and see if it is rendered
correctly? if it doesn't happen there, then the upgrade from the old to
new database needs reworking.

> ps. Something is *really* wrong with generation of thumbnails... Now
> I am even not able to view some thumbnails which are visible in other
> types of views :/

which is a problem I can't reproduce and neither can the others. the logs
you attached with the bugreport were not very enlightening. i will do a
bit more digging later.

renchi