[Digikam-devel] Two suggestions.

Tina Trillitzsch t.trillitzsch at gmx.de
Mon Jul 25 21:30:04 BST 2005

Hi Tom,

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:37:09 +0200, Tom Albers <tomalbers at kde.nl>
wrote:

> I just read the hig at:
> http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/style/dnd/index.html
>
> "There should also be a popup menu if there is only one action
> (other than
> Cancel) possible."
>
> Tina, should we comply to that or could you tell us what the
> status is of that
> document?

The HIG you linked to is the old one that is right now being
modified and edited - sadly, the part about actions on dropping a
file is not done yet. I don't know if what you describe will remain
in there as is or not, though.

But since a HIG is just a guide, we shouldn't have to slavishly
stick to one of its guidelines it if it doesn't make much sense in
this special case and even causes annoyance.
Unlike the handling of files, which I think the hig section was
written for, moving a tag is an action that is
a) seldom done accidentally
b) very easily reversible
c) is done a lot more often with single items in a row. When moving
files, you usually select several of them at once and move/copy
them, in digikam, you select a tag, drag it to an image, select
another tag, drag it to the image, rather sequentially instead of in
a bulk (selecting several tags at once is possible, I think, but I
imagine it's done less often - does anyone know more about this?)

So considering the facts that the hig is very much in flux right
now, that this specific guideline is at the moment not in the new
hig at all, and that the difference between files and tags makes the
popup very irritating I would say - remove the popup.
Another argument speaking for that is that you obviously actually
stumbled over this, that it caused you difficulties. This is most
often a sign that something is indeed wrong. It's something I read
somewhere when I learned doing heuristic evaluations of software -
if you notice an interface problem that bothers you, it is most
probably a real issue. (As opposed to not noticing a problem - then
it can of course still exist ;))

Regards,
Tina