[Digikam-devel] Removing thumb size from settings.

Tina Trillitzsch t.trillitzsch at gmx.de
Thu Jul 7 14:35:28 BST 2005

Whoopsie, my first reply only went to tom :o

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 08:21:18 +0200, Tom Albers <tomalbers at kde.nl>
wrote:

> In the menu View there are settings for the Album Sort Order  and
> Image Sort
> Order, those settings are saves when you close digiKam. These
> settings are
> not available in the digiKam Settings Screen.
>
> I would suggest doing the same for the Thumb Size Setting. It is
> now available
> in the Settings Screen and in the menu View.  I would like to
> remove it from
> the Settings Screen. Reasoning: 1) consistent with Album Sort
> Order and Image
> Sorter Order. 2) Removes a setting from the Settings Screen and 3)
> when you
> change the thumb size and restart digiKam the thumbs will have the
> size of
> the last time you used digiKam which makes more sense to me then
> the current
> behaviour.
>
> Does anyone agree or disagree? Tina?

I agree on all of your three points. It also fits better with the
workflow to change the thumbnail size directly from the menu instead
of packing it into the settings. When you notice you need
bigger/smaller thumbnails, you are most probably looking at them ->
have immediate access to the view menu. Having to go to the settings
may let you forget what exactly you were going to to when you're
confronted with all the other unrelated settings. I'm not kidding,
things like that happen, especially if you can't see what you were
about to change because it's hidden by the config dialog, as it is
with the thumbnails.

So, yes, remove it from the settings screen, keep it in the view
menu :).

Tina