[Digikam-devel] extragear/graphics/digikam

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Dec 14 14:07:49 GMT 2005

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Gilles Caulier wrote:

> Ah, the famous RAW importer. Have you progressed in your current
> implementation ?

No, because I haven't had a decent development machine for the past
month. My laptop broke down and now I'm making do with an old powerbook
which is just too slow.

> Personally, RAW loader in digikam work fine. I use an external dcraw instance
> to decode RAW files, but i'm not satisfied by it. For any performance
> reasons, including dcraw source code in digikam core will be better, but...
> dcraw if a sad C ansi implementation, not a clean C/C++ library.

So do we: call dcraw in an external process and catch the output from stdout.
I've taken a look at ufraw, which has a kind of programmable api around dcraw,
but it's very obscure C code and I couldn't untangle it enough from its glib
dependencies to re-use.

> To identify and extract thumbnails from RAW files, parse.c source file from
> dcraw project is already included to digikam core. If i trying to add dcraw
> source code, i will have any method conflics between these implementations. I
> need to create a pure C++ class regrouping all dcraw/parse methods and create
> a dedicaced lib (in digiKam core). This is not a trivial task, because there
> is a risk to break dcraw implementation (and future dcraw source code
> backport).

It'll be hell to maintain, that's for sure.