[Digikam-devel] Hotplug and DCOP interface

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at free.fr
Sat Dec 10 17:43:50 GMT 2005

Le Samedi 10 Décembre 2005 17:08, Leonid Zeitlin a écrit :
> Hello DigiKam developers,
> First of all, thank you for the great application. I've been looking into
> using DigiKam with hotplug, to automatically start DigiKam when my camera
> is connected. The instructions on the web site were quite useful, and I
> quickly had it working. One thing that I've found somewhat inconvenient is
> that if I connect my camera when DigiKam is already running, a second
> instance of the application is started. It would be nice if the hotplug
> script could send a DCOP call to a running instance of DigiKam to show the
> camera dialog. Unfortunately, I've found out that DigiKam exports no such
> interface.
>
> So I created a quick patch that adds a DCOP interface to DigiKam. Right now
> it has only one method, cameraAutoDetect to show the camera dialog. I also
> created a modified digikam-hotplug script to take advantage of the new DCOP
> call. I'd like to share the patch and the script with the developer
> community in hopes that you could find it useful. I don't claim that what I
> implemented is the best and optimal solution to the hotplug issue, but I
> think a DCOP interface might come handy in many situations. Any feedback is
> welcome.
>
> Thanks a lot,

In first, thanks Leonid to your digiKam interrest. your DCOP interface is
interressing and i will take a look about your implementation.

I need any feedback about other developpers/users to use it with any cameras.
Please let's me hear your viewpoints...

Oliver, can you take a look about the hotplug script modifications ?

Thanks in advance