[Digikam-devel] Hotplug and DCOP interface

Leonid Zeitlin lz at europe.com
Sat Dec 10 16:08:43 GMT 2005

Hello DigiKam developers,
First of all, thank you for the great application. I've been looking into
using DigiKam with hotplug, to automatically start DigiKam when my camera
is connected. The instructions on the web site were quite useful, and I
quickly had it working. One thing that I've found somewhat inconvenient is
that if I connect my camera when DigiKam is already running, a second
instance of the application is started. It would be nice if the hotplug
script could send a DCOP call to a running instance of DigiKam to show the
camera dialog. Unfortunately, I've found out that DigiKam exports no such
interface.

So I created a quick patch that adds a DCOP interface to DigiKam. Right now
it has only one method, cameraAutoDetect to show the camera dialog. I also
created a modified digikam-hotplug script to take advantage of the new DCOP
call. I'd like to share the patch and the script with the developer
community in hopes that you could find it useful. I don't claim that what I
implemented is the best and optimal solution to the hotplug issue, but I
think a DCOP interface might come handy in many situations. Any feedback is
welcome.

Thanks a lot,
  Leonid