[Digikam-devel] SideBar support in ShowFoto and Image Editor

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at free.fr
Wed Aug 17 12:49:11 BST 2005

Le Mercredi 17 Août 2005 09:27, Renchi Raju a écrit :
> Wouldn't it be better to wait for this for 0.8.1? The TODO list was
> recently cleaned out and the focus was on fixing existing
> functionality. We generally brought out very stable releases everytime
> and let's keep our reputation that way :).

Well i'm currently working on to stabilize the implementation. I can do it
before 0.8.0 beta1 : I will working on (moderated) this week, and full time
the next week...

Note that the implementation don't add new features. I had used the current
implementation from old image dialog and the SideBar widget from Joern. I
just need to polishing/testing/debuging the code (the eternal problem of the
last 10% of the work (:=))))...

> I like the idea of the sidebar implementation;

Thanks Renchi.

> in any case it will
> stop all the complaints about not being able to comment/tag with
> "tiny" 256x256 thumbnails.

Absolutly.

> Some issues which will need to be fixed
> before it goes into SVN:

> a) the tarball you supplied has a duplication of code with existing
> widgets elsewhere. Those need to be merged together and put into libs
> directory.

Yes, i will do it.

> b) performance issues. For large images, there is a percetible
> difference for switching between images. (Even when the sidebar is
> hidden.

Yes. It's planed.

> BTW, the default state of sidebar should be hidden)

Right.

> c) Bugs: couple found in 5 minutes of usage: Doing a selection on a
> image causes the histogram widget to jump around and this resizes the
> image display and ends up losing the selection.

This is relevant of any label and ComboBox on the top of histogram tab. I will
fix it to use QButtonGroup instead (like in gimp)

> Another was a crash
> which occurred on opening a new imagewindow (not always reproducible)
> (bt attached)

Ahh (:=)) Easy ... This is a copy/paste artefact (:=))). I try to connect a
slot to a widget before to create this one. The result is impredictible...
Fixed...

> d) In case of the imagewindow being opened from the camera window, the
> sidebars need to be turned off. right now it crashes reproducibly

This way isn't yet tested on my computer. I will do it today

> e) I second Joern's point about general view being pointless here.
> Additionally all the propery pages
> (histogram/exif/comments-tag-editor) really need cleanup. But this can
> be done later

I propose to let all tabs like this and fix this point later than to commit on
SVN, (like this the code isn't lost, and i can cleanup my computer (:=)))...

Thanks for your feedback Renchi.