[Digikam-devel] selection code question

Gerhard Kulzer gerhard at kulzer.net
Sun Aug 14 07:02:13 BST 2005

Am Sonntag, 14. August 2005 04.22 schrieb Thorsten Schnebeck:
> > Well take a llok in Refocus handbook :
> >
> > http://docs.kde.org/development/en/extragear-graphics/digikamimageplugins
> >/c omparison-plugin-refocus.html
>
> Ok, I have ported my script-fu smart-sharpen over to gimp-2.2.x - sometimes
> Gimp-scripting is a little bit like voodoo, but now it works again.
>
> So I attach the example png file filtered by smart-sharpen. You can clearly
> see that you can use a larger Amount compared to standard "unsharp masking"
> without getting halos and don't have this artefacts like in standard
> "sharpen" or "refocus"-plugin.
> Of course this is not a solution for every kind of problem, every method
> has its pros and cons. But if you have a nealy sharp photo and wants to
> make it a little bit sharper after e.g. resizing then smart-sharpen is
> strong.
>
> Bye
>
>   Thorsten
>
> p.s. 110KB - so no attachment but a link :-)
> http://www.schnebeck.de/smart-sharpened.png

Well, have a close look at the refocus performance compared to your
smart-sharpening! refocus is far better, in that is has no halos and much
more detail. Your smart-sharpened image lacks a lot of detail. Just compare
your picture with the example at the website
http://docs.kde.org/development/en/extragear-graphics/digikamimageplugins/comparison-plugin-refocus.html

I've looked with Gilles into the subject, and I'm convinced that it is pretty
hard to beat refocus, theoretically it should not be possible to be better.

Gerhard