[Digikam-devel] selection code question

Thorsten Schnebeck thorsten.schnebeck at gmx.net
Sat Aug 13 12:17:50 BST 2005

> Do you have any links about DRI (Dynamic Range Increase) source code (gimp
> plugins for example)

Yes my own Script-Fu :-)
http://forum.ebv4linux.de/files/dri.tar.gz
And a German-only description how it works
http://www.ebv4linux.de/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=19
but babelfish will generate a reasonable translation.

> > or advanced sharpen.
>
> Try 'Refocus' plugin from SVN.

I did - with great hopes. But the results are frustrating and I think refocus
can only be used if you got pictures with a fidgety background like the sun
flowers in the plugins handbook.

If you use refocus to sharpen the eye in a portrait you get bad artefacts in
the boket (unsharp background). And this is the power of smart sharpen. Here
you only sharp the egdes and protect the blur.

Please try our example in
http://www.ebv4linux.de/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=24
(again please use babelfish)
with refocus plugin. Maybe I only do not understand the plugin parameter :o)

But I mean DRI and smart sharpen only as an example for plugins that work on a
part of the whole image like "red eye". Having a simple stamp and a unsharp
mask in a alpha channel like selection of 8 bit again would mean less GIMP or
Krita and more digiKam for standard photo retouche :-)

I dont mean this as a wish - there is already so much stuff in BKO -  but more
as a stategic question like I asked 16Bit/channel in the past. Its not a
feature more question of future design.

I still compare digikam with Fix Foto and digikam-0.8pre IS nearly on the same
level!
http://www.j-k-s.com/index.php?idcat=2
But stuff like colorkey or DRI is missing:
http://www.j-k-s.com/index.php?idcatside=46
http://www.j-k-s.com/index.php?idcatside=74

Thanks

  Thorsten