Digest up to date (#253, #254, #255, #256, #257, #258, #259, #260 out)!

Jürgen Appel jeeemeeel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 18:33:21 UTC 2012

2012/11/13 Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org>

> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 10:04 PM, Marta Rybczynska <
> kde-i18n at rybczynska.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>> Very interesting discussion! We do have a framework for content from
>> developers,
>> please look in the 'Features' section. However, it does require content.
>> Some
>> developers write something special for us, but that is quite rare. It
>> works
>> better if we contact them directly. Until now we have only used featured
>> articles, but I think it is a good idea to add  an option wth a link to a
>> blog
>> post or any other material.
>>
>> How to make developers more active (they are already reading the digest,
>> we know that :) is another good question and I am very curius of the ideas
>> you may have.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Marta
>>

>> Jürgen Appel wrote:
>> > addenda:
>> >
>> > In case we decide the former is desirable, I also propose to identify
>> (ie
>> > create a list) of devs who
>> >
>> > *  are vocal (they write blogposts, forums, mails)
>> > *  do stuff (there are interesting commits)
>> > * ...
>> >
>> > and then approach them personally (mail / irc / voicemail / telepathy..)
>> > for
>> >
>> > * a short round of questions about what they are working on at the
>> moment
>> > -> digest material
>> > * what we could do so that they personally would interact more with the
>> > digest (digest tag, the reports we once used to have in the synopsis)
>> > * what they think we could do for other devs to be more attractiv to
>> talk
>> > to ; )

> Maybe it would be interesting to be able to attach screenshots/screencasts
> to commits.
>
> For starters, further integration of reviewboard would be interesting
> because we can already fetch screenshots from there and also a
> more verbose explanation of the change.
>
> Aleix

That would be splendid indeed, but it's beyond my expertise.

I tried to bring up some things for the synopsis to put more meat in there.

*Dear editors, please let me know if you this is worthwhile*

---
week of 12th to 18th Nov
---

1)
one of dhaumann's commit messages said something like "removing search and
replace highlighting from kate. thats a truly sad day"

Intrigued I asked for more, here is what he said:

(I can give it a shot at editing it into somekind of article if it fits our
purpose)

<dhaumann>
Up to KDE 4.9, the search & replace highlights stay, even if you close the
search & replace bar. You had to press Escape to manually remove them.
>From KDE 4.10 on, there will be a notification bar on the bottom of the view
that tells the user the amount of search & replace matches. This bar stay
visible for about 6 seconds, then it hides itself automatically. And then,
i.e. after these 6 seconds, the search & replace highlights are also
removed.

I wrote "this is a sad day", since I personally liked the previous behavior
lot. But there seemed to be quite some users who never figured out that
Escape
was needed to remove these highlightings :)
 </dhaumann>

2)
Homerun¹, a fullscreen launcher developped by Shaun Reich and Aurélien
Gateau, made its debut² release. Although it's currently at version 0.1.0,
it already looks³ functional(4). Integration with Activities (5) is planned
and other interesting ideas are afloat. Download and build instructions can
be found at Aurélien's blog²

1: http://userbase.kde.org/Homerun
2: http://agateau.com/2012/11/14/introducing-homerun/
3: