Accessibility Series

Roger Pixley skreech2 at gmail.com
Sat May 12 08:04:01 UTC 2012

Sorry for returning so late with this but this is the blurb he proposed for the concept intro paragraph. It's not polished up as he was pressed for time. I was going to link to the HIG (http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG)

Accessibility is a broad term. In the context of computer technology, it
generally means giving as many people the ability to use the technology as
possible. Because people are so different, there is of course not one solution
for all. We aim therefore to cover a broad spectrum of use cases.
Many issues that severely impact computer usage are, of course, visual or
motorical difficulties. Hearing problems can be another barrier.
For KDE this means following the human interface guidelines, which ensure for
example that users can adjust font sizes or the contrast of color schemes.
Sometimes more advanced solutions are needed, such as using a screen reader
for blind users.