[kde-promo] Fwd: Digest in trouble?

Jos Poortvliet jos at opensuse.org
Sat Oct 1 08:46:58 UTC 2011

On 30.09.2011 Anne wrote:
> On Friday, September 30, 2011 04:09:44 PM Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > Heya all: I think it makes sense to give an announcement on the dot
> > about the CD needing some more hands. I also think it should be a
> > 'default' part of the weekly CD announcements on the dot.
> >
> > Who's up for writing a 'please help us'?

<snip>

> Shouldn't we start some weekly IRC workshops to teach people on what
> to do (personally I registered an account but was unclear on what
> exactly to do) That would also create a team feeling and a network
> of people who could motivate each other.

If it is hard to find out how to contribute we have an issue - that's
something to fix. I'm sure Danny would want to hear any suggestions on
improving the process of getting involved.

To give the need for help more attention, I've added the following to
the commit digest of this week:

"The Commit Digest team needs help! Please go to <a href="http://commit-
digest.org/contribute/">commit-digest.org/contribute</a> to see what you
can do."

And we should add that from now on. The possibility to contribute could
also be made more prominent on the commit-digest website.

Finally, Carl offered to write something about the commit-digest on the
dot. The comment by Marco Krohn on this blog by Stuart [1] is a pretty
good start for a how-to for the dot and if we add to that some news on
recent improvements (Danny?) I think we can give this enough attention
to gain some new contributors.

I think what's important is to realize that recruiting contributors is a
continuous process - people always leave and thus you always need new
blood. A tip there: welcome newcomers personally and check up on them
once in a while! This works very well if one of you (on the digest ML)
is willing to pick THAT up as a task: welcome (and if needed, help) new
contributors. Moreover, hang out on IRC if you can, maybe organize a
commit digest sprint at some point to hack together some features and
catch up with digests. Lots of possibilities for some teambuilding...
Think about it :D

Jos