"digest" tag in commit messages

Danny Allen danny at commit-digest.org
Wed Feb 23 10:44:06 CET 2011

I've just written a reply:

-----------------------

Hi John,
Yes! This is something we have been discussing for quite a while now, and its something that wouldn't be difficult to implement on my end, as long as tags are consistent.

I propose that the tags always be uppercase, so in this case:

DIGEST (this could be the generic tag)
FEATURE (self-explanatory)
BUG:99999

For bugs, this is really important: currently, people use lots of different formats like "BUG:99999" (good), "Bug: 99999", even "bug 99999" - you can imagine how hard it is to pull this one out of a body of text!

Can we enforce one standard and shame the repeat offenders?

Send me an email at danny at commit-digest.org when you've got a final proposal!

Cheers,
Danny