please remember the 5% rule!

Alexander van Loon a.vanloon at alexandervanloon.nl
Wed Feb 2 21:48:48 CET 2011

On Saturday 29 January 2011 20:18:59 Vladislav Blanton wrote:
> Dear team,
>
> Things have been moving along quickly and we are almost up to speed, which
> is awesome.
>
> However, we are still selecting more than 2 times the amount of commits to
> include than we ought to.
> Please remember the 5% rule when reviewing commits!
>
> Vladislav

Yes, I’ve noticed it as well and have been deleting commits in the digest if there were too many. The only problem is, I
haven't been able to delete much commits because I can't decide easily on which commits should be deleted. Partly it's
also reluctance to delete commits which others deemed to be worthy to include and classify, but I guess I just have to get
over that and be less picky.

Like Marco I also tend to think that removing minor bug reports is the best way to cut the number of commits included,
because most bug reports don't seem to be very interesting. Do Danny and others agree with that? I'm not sure on what
criteria I should choose which bug reports are not worthy to be included and which are worthy, though. I guess an important
criterium for inclusion of bug fix commits is if the description of the bug in the commit message is extensive or detailed?

Besides bug reports, what are the methods and criteria used by others to cut the commit messages in general?