newbie guide for Enzyme and commit digest?

Alexander van Loon a.vanloon at alexandervanloon.nl
Sat Dec 11 11:49:00 CET 2010

Hello,

Finally I have been able to find a substantial amount of free time this
weekend (and I assume, in the future also on workdays) to get some work
done for the digest. First steps for me were to read Stuart Jarvis’ blog
post – http://www.asinen.org/2010/10/one-hour-to-save-the-commit-digest/
– and the ‘Using Enzyme’ and the ‘Inclusion Guidelines’ help documents
in Enzyme itself. Unfortunately it’s still not very clear to me how I
can help:

     1. The guidelines for reviewing are evident, but it’s not possible
        to undo an inclusion or exclusion if I’m correct? This makes me
        reluctant to review.
     2. What does ‘Insert’ do? It isn’t explained anywhere.
     3. So in ‘Digests’ I can apparently type the introductory text with
        a summary of all the activity that week for each of the
        unfinished digests. But how do I see the commits belonging to
        that week, so I can summarize them?
     4. Stuart Jarvis’ blog post describes e-mailing developers to ask
        them for input on a story for the commit digest. I assume such a
        story needs to be related to the activity of that specific week
        like in the case of [3], or isn’t that necessary?
     5. How am I going to figure out which developers I need to e-mail
        to ask for their input on a story for the digest? I assume I’m
        going to be able figure that out by looking at the commit
        activity, so I need to get some experience for a week or so by
        looking at the commit activity? Or does anyone have any
        suggestions on whom I should contact to write a story for a
        specific commit digest? Are the suggestions by the last
        commenter on Stuart Jarvis’ blog post any good?
     6. In his blog post he mentions a standard e-mail text, what would
        that standard text be?

Another question regarding to the commit digest itself, the statistics
displaying nationality and sex, volunteer/commercial occupation and age
of the committers display respectively 28,76%, 24,06%, 44,07% and 51,17%
unknown as of the most recent commit digest. I love these statistics and
I’d like them to be reliable, how would we make them more reliable?
E-mail all committers for which the data is unknown and ask them to give
the information? Might be a lot of work, but I’m willing to do it.

Greetings,
Alexander van Loon