Autocorrect functionality

Dag dag.andersen at kdemail.net
Wed Oct 26 08:24:06 BST 2022

On onsdag den 19. oktober 2022 17.42.29 CEST, Volker Krause wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 19. Oktober 2022 01:05:19 CEST Albert Astals Cid wrote:
>> Sorry for the cross-posting.
>> Please CC me, i'm on none of the two lists
>>

>> Both pimcommon and calligra have Autocorrect functionality, but PIM one
>> broke at some point and I guess no one realized?
>
> [...]
>
>> Solutions:
>>  A) Make PIM look for files also in GenericDataDir/calligra and live with
>> the dependency to calligra for the feature B) Accept that the feature in
>> PIM was broken for a long time and just remove it C) Make a library that
>> both PIM and Calligra use
>>
>> Ideally we would go with C but we all know it's not like we have lots of
>> people with time available to jump and work on this...
>
> Right, that's ultimately what I'd like to see as well, all the auto-
> correction, grammar checking and translation features moving
> into Frameworks,
> alongside spell-checking. Those are all features you would like to have
> everywhere you write more than a few words of text IMHO.
>
> But lacking time for this, it's not more than a wishlist item
> unfortunately...
I think there are two separate issues here:
1) The data, where to host/maintain/install, and
2) code duplication. To reduce the amount of work we could postpone this
   until needs get pressing or sombody finds the time.

The data we have in calligra atm is not very comprehensive. This makes it
pretty useless if it is not updated.
The data in libreoffice is pretty good though, so using that data would be
nice.
But how to do that? Could we:
. Merge current LO data with calligra data,
    A job to do now, and data must be maintained two places.
. Copy current data from LO into our repo keeping data format,
    When data is updated in LO, somebody needs to make a new copy.
    Install both calligra data and LO data.
. Copy data automatically from LO at release time keeping data format,
    Install both calligra data and LO data.

I don't particulary like any of these, but trying to be practical...

--
Mvh Dag