Words and large files

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 10:56:02 GMT 2021

On Monday March 22 2021 09:01:21 Dag wrote:

>But, I think comparison with LO says a lot:

Sadly this is also my experience. Generally speaking, LO has more features, and while it's monolithic behemoth it just works for the most part.
I've really wanted Calligra to be an alternative because there are things in its interface that I prefer (including the use of Qt), but at the end of the day it's sadly a bit like so many webbrowsers nowadays. Trying to play catch-up with the big guys (and those browser projects do have it a lot simpler, I realise). Great as a learning project and platform for testing out ideas when you're a developer, not so much when you're an end-user trying to be productive. The availability of official installer packages is a big plus for LO, too.

I do keep a special place for Karbon as I still sometimes need something with Adobe Illustrator capabilities (I'm not aware of other AI alternatives; Inkscape is more of a competitor). Idem for Krita.

R.