Karbon improvements

JZA jza at gultab.org
Tue Jan 7 20:31:52 GMT 2020

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 3:26 AM <danders at get2net.dk> wrote:

> JZA skrev den 2020-01-06 21:37:
> > Hi I'm an avid kde user but I still keep some gtk apps like gimp
> > (althought using krita more and more), another one is Inkscape and
> > here is where maybe Karbon could improve to compete for further ease
> > of use.
> > Is a bit ironic that inkscape is one of the few gtk apps that make use
> > of panes, something that is very well used in Calligra office apps.
> > Yet in Karbon, the panes look a bit lacking on the UX.
> >
> > Also Karbon looks more like a Vision/UML editor than a publishing
> > (Scribus), drawing (design) tool.
> >
> > It also lacks the use of plugins and effects, that could be a great
> > space to grow and explore. Specially if there is a support for
> > scripting languages such as JavaScript, Python and Ruby. (Maybe Go and
> > Rust)
> Yes, scripting was disabled in 3.x due to upstream changes,
> but I have not looked into it lately so things might have improved.
> Hmmm, not much. Seems only javascript has been implemented. (In kde4 it
> could do python, ruby and more)

Sims KDE Bindings are dead, at least their mailing list. PyKF5 is also very
poorly mantained, as in only a few libraries are supported from the KF5
base 1 layer. Also comparing it to PyKDE4, perhaps this new iteration of
KDE has major roadblocks to get some portability from one version to the
next.

> Probably we should look to krita to see how they have dealt with it.
> > Finally a redesign of the UX that prevent things like 'fat' widget
> > groups that make the pane dimensions grow indefinetly.
> >
> > I'm new to the list so don't have much context for current topics
> > being dealt currently but wonder if some of the issues are being
> > discussed already.
> Since 3.1 I think only handling of multiple pages has been added,
> all ui and graphics functionality is as in 3.1.

That's great for Desktop publishing. Scribus also has this functionality as
well as OpenOffice Draw.

--
Alexandro Colorado
GULTab.org