Karbon improvements

danders at get2net.dk danders at get2net.dk
Tue Jan 7 09:26:23 GMT 2020

JZA skrev den 2020-01-06 21:37:
> Hi I'm an avid kde user but I still keep some gtk apps like gimp
> (althought using krita more and more), another one is Inkscape and
> here is where maybe Karbon could improve to compete for further ease
> of use.
> Is a bit ironic that inkscape is one of the few gtk apps that make use
> of panes, something that is very well used in Calligra office apps.
> Yet in Karbon, the panes look a bit lacking on the UX.
>
> Also Karbon looks more like a Vision/UML editor than a publishing
> (Scribus), drawing (design) tool.
>
> It also lacks the use of plugins and effects, that could be a great
> space to grow and explore. Specially if there is a support for
> scripting languages such as JavaScript, Python and Ruby. (Maybe Go and
> Rust)
Yes, scripting was disabled in 3.x due to upstream changes,
but I have not looked into it lately so things might have improved.
Hmmm, not much. Seems only javascript has been implemented. (In kde4 it
could do python, ruby and more)
Probably we should look to krita to see how they have dealt with it.
> Finally a redesign of the UX that prevent things like 'fat' widget
> groups that make the pane dimensions grow indefinetly.
>
> I'm new to the list so don't have much context for current topics
> being dealt currently but wonder if some of the issues are being
> discussed already.
Since 3.1 I think only handling of multiple pages has been added,
all ui and graphics functionality is as in 3.1.
I'm not a graphics man so maybe Anthony (current maintainer) has further
comments.