How to generate mso.jar (Re: Calligra licensing and copyright bits)

Jos van den Oever jos at vandenoever.info
Sun Jan 4 16:06:26 GMT 2015

On Sunday 04 January 2015 02:04:09 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 23. Oktober 2014, 23:17:48 schrieb Raúl Sánchez Siles:
> > Hi:
> >
> > As a Debian maintainer of the calligra package, I'm reviewing licensing
> > and
> > copyright details. We've found some issues that I'll explain in this email
> > and we'd like to hear your point of view.
>
> <snip>
>
> > Java jar files
> > ==============
> > jar files are binary files, as such, in Debian we need the source code of
> > those files and generate them on package build (or removing the files from
> > the tarball and adding dependencies on the packages that provide these
> > files).
> >
> > In the jar case, there are some pointers on where the jar comes from, but
> > still bundling a generated binary is not desirable.
> >
> > The fixes for that from the licensing point of view are:
> > - Removing the feature
> > - If the jar generates code needed at build time, adding the required
> > (source) files which are generated from the jar. But not the jar. Also
> > include a script or document a procedure how to get those files.
> > - If the jar is required as a runtime dependency, you could either add a
> > run time dependency on a separate package providing that jar or generate
> > the jar at build time.
> >
> > filters/libmso/generated/mso.jar
> >
> >   As per README in that directory this jar generates some code that's used
> >
> > later.
> > PROPOSAL: Describe (or script) the procedure to generate the code and
> > remove the jar file.
>
> The README refers to http://www.gitorious.org/msoscheme as the source of
> mso.jar. Which still exists (good) and seems to be basically done by you,
> Jos, once upon a time at least. Just, there is no README there and, worse,
> also no obvious license for msoscheme.
> And for recursive fun for the good Debian License checking people there is
> another binary blob inside those sources, from poi.apache.org ;)

I've added a Readme.md with license information for MSOScheme and POI to the
repository of MSOscheme now.
https://www.gitorious.org/msoscheme/msoscheme/

The POI code is only there for testing the generated java code. This is not
used by Calligra at all.

I have updated MSOScheme: it now writes the version of MSOScheme into the
generated files. The version contains the sha1. So it is always possible to
find the exact version of MSOScheme to recreate the files simpleParser.h and
simpleParser.cpp. This means the mso.jar does not need to be part of the
Calligra source code any more.

I put up a review request to add the better documentation to calligra.
  https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/121837/

If the mso.jar should not be part of the Calligra repository, then it should
be replaced by mso.xml.

Cheers,
Jos