How to generate mso.jar (Re: Calligra licensing and copyright bits)

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sun Jan 4 01:04:09 GMT 2015

Hi Jos,

Am Donnerstag, 23. Oktober 2014, 23:17:48 schrieb Raúl Sánchez Siles:
> Hi:
>
> As a Debian maintainer of the calligra package, I'm reviewing licensing and
> copyright details. We've found some issues that I'll explain in this email
> and we'd like to hear your point of view.

<snip>

> Java jar files
> ==============
> jar files are binary files, as such, in Debian we need the source code of
> those files and generate them on package build (or removing the files from
> the tarball and adding dependencies on the packages that provide these
> files).
>
> In the jar case, there are some pointers on where the jar comes from, but
> still bundling a generated binary is not desirable.
>
> The fixes for that from the licensing point of view are:
> - Removing the feature
> - If the jar generates code needed at build time, adding the required
> (source) files which are generated from the jar. But not the jar. Also
> include a script or document a procedure how to get those files.
> - If the jar is required as a runtime dependency, you could either add a run
> time dependency on a separate package providing that jar or generate the
> jar at build time.
>
> filters/libmso/generated/mso.jar
>   As per README in that directory this jar generates some code that's used
> later.
> PROPOSAL: Describe (or script) the procedure to generate the code and remove
> the jar file.

The README refers to http://www.gitorious.org/msoscheme as the source of
mso.jar. Which still exists (good) and seems to be basically done by you, Jos,
once upon a time at least. Just, there is no README there and, worse, also no
obvious license for msoscheme.
And for recursive fun for the good Debian License checking people there is
another binary blob inside those sources, from poi.apache.org ;)

So could you please help, Jos, and at least describe in that README how to
generate mso.jar exactly (incl. version of msoscheme) and then add some proper
& suited licensing to the msoscheme repo and also a README perhaps? Would be
great if that could happen before the 2.9 release.

Everyone, more issues still at
https://community.kde.org/Calligra/Libs#License_cleanup so pick your stuff (me
just also send emails about the GPLed files in libs/)

Cheers
Friedrich