Big reformat of sources before unfreeze of master (was: Re: Schedule to switch back to master for feature development)

Dmitry Kazakov dimula73 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 09:44:22 BST 2015

>> 2) I am personally against of automated whitespace reformatting, because
> >> it pollutes history of files without any use. Includes,
> >> slots, forward declarations reformattings are ok. Whitespace no.
> >

> > There is a lot of use in whitespace cleanup: it makes the code
> > consistent and readable.
>
> Yes, we discussed that a bit a while ago. Initially I was critical
> too. But whitespace changes can be ignored when generating diff _and_
> blame (the -w option). Anyone can add this flag in git options for
> diff/blame. I'd do so.
>
> I'd like to note that we don't have a proven formatting tool for now
> for all C++ elements. astyle got broken, and clang formatter can be
> better but we need an expert. Missing things may be minor but we can't
> make the result worse in problematic areas than the original. Not even
> KF5 has a formatting tool, last I checked.

Yes, the last time we discussed it, I raised quite a few issues with the
formatter and got a response that "they are limitations of the formatter
and cannot be overcome easily". So why we should spend time on it at all if
it doesn't solve any real issue? At least in Krita I don't see any real
problem with formatting. Yes, there are a few places where it is
non-standard, but we fix it when refactoring these lines.

--
Dmitry Kazakov