Big reformat of sources before unfreeze of master (was: Re: Schedule to switch back to master for feature development)

Dmitry Kazakov dimula73 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 09:30:21 BST 2015

1) We are planning to alpha-release LevelOfDetail and Animation
>> functionality soon for users to test. And we cannot base this
>> version on Frameworks, because the latter one has no decent tablet
>> support on Linux (Qt5 makes the line look jittery and we have no
>> decision yet how to fix that). So we cannot merge it in atm.
>>

> You _have_ to. You can't go on building the animation branch against 2.9
> and expect to be able to merge it to master later on. There will be too
> many changes, not just whitespace cleanups. It's a pity that tablet support
> isn't fixed yet, but that's not a reason not to move feature development
> to the master/kf5/qt5 branch. We'll have to make sure tablet support is
> good again anyway.

Well, I can merge animation into frameworks and continue developing in
animation. At least I think I can. Then we could release alpha builds based
on 2.9 and forward-port changes to master from time to time.

> 2) I am personally against of automated whitespace reformatting, because
>> it pollutes history of files without any use. Includes,
>> slots, forward declarations reformattings are ok. Whitespace no.
>>

> There is a lot of use in whitespace cleanup: it makes the code
> consistent and readable.

Well, I don't have any readability problems in Krita caused by whitespaces.
Erasing the 'git-blame' history of files is not a price we should pay for
solving a quite disputable readability problem. I use 'git-blame' quite a
lot for bugfixing.

3) Renaming files into CamesCaseStyle.cpp instead of underscore_style.cpp
>> will break my workflow. You have to expect me to spent at
>> least 2 working days on readjusting my workflow. I'm ok with it, though I
>> would prefer to spend this time on something more useful
>> for Krita.
>>

> Well, we can do two things, after we've split up the repositories:
> rename everything to camelcase, or everything to underscores. As
> for me, Qt Creator makes it much easier to work with files that have the
> same names as the class themselves.

Well, as I said, I'm ok with the change. Just take into account that I will
need to spent two workdays on switching my workflow. Emacs makes it much
easier to work with files that have underscored names.