Big reformat of sources before unfreeze of master (was: Re: Schedule to switch back to master for feature development)

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun Aug 30 09:29:15 BST 2015

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015, Dmitry Kazakov wrote:

> Hi, Friedrich!
>
> I have several points against total reformatting of everything.
>
> 1) We are planning to alpha-release LevelOfDetail and Animation functionality soon for users to test. And we cannot base this
> version on Frameworks, because the latter one has no decent tablet support on Linux (Qt5 makes the line look jittery and we have no
> decision yet how to fix that). So we cannot merge it in atm.

You _have_ to. You can't go on building the animation branch against 2.9
and expect to be able to merge it to master later on. There will be too
many changes, not just whitespace cleanups. It's a pity that tablet support
isn't fixed yet, but that's not a reason not to move feature development
to the master/kf5/qt5 branch. We'll have to make sure tablet support is
good again anyway.

> 2) I am personally against of automated whitespace reformatting, because it pollutes history of files without any use. Includes,
> slots, forward declarations reformattings are ok. Whitespace no.

There is a lot of use in whitespace cleanup: it makes the code
consistent and readable.

> 3) Renaming files into CamesCaseStyle.cpp instead of underscore_style.cpp will break my workflow. You have to expect me to spent at
> least 2 working days on readjusting my workflow. I'm ok with it, though I would prefer to spend this time on something more useful
> for Krita.

Well, we can do two things, after we've split up the repositories:
rename everything to camelcase, or everything to underscores. As
for me, Qt Creator makes it much easier to work with files that
have the same names as the class themselves.

Boudewijn