Calligra Icons

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Fri Aug 7 23:26:33 BST 2015

Hi Ken,

thanks for all the work on these new icons!
Have to admit I have to get used to yet another icon style (since KDE1 :P),
but I start to like also this generation ;)

Am Montag, 27. Juli 2015, 14:02:07 schrieb Ken Vermette:
> By the sounds of it, the first (more traditional) icons are preferred,
> basically for the same reasons I dumped the second set.

I also prefer this "traditional" style set over the other, so +1 on that :)

Reason is that I dislike the "suite" idea and rather see Calligra as a set of
individual apps for individual purposes which just are smart to share lots of
code :) (and that "office" suite model idea that MS brainwashed people into
sucks, as it creates a rather artificial grouping)

> So, if I may rail
> the conversation onto these icons:
>
> https://share.kde.org/index.php/s/xgusKHJAjt5OIyW

I fear the Plan icon(s) look too much like one of a pure calendaring/dates
application. Ideally it would also somehow represent the aspect of resource
planning and dependency management, being the core purpose of Plan.
Perhaps using some Gantt iconics like it was done for the icon version with
the color-coded icon set would work?
For helping with characteristics, how would you do the icon for KOrganizer?
Perhaps the currently proposed icon would fit that app better?

The Flow icon also seems too far away from the aspect that Flow is for
diagramming and flowcharting. The concept of stencils is missing for me, at
least this is the icon I had to guess the hardest what it is for, and still
have to teach me that. And the arrows hide for me usually, I always see a
wheel or the cutting wheel like shape in the middle ;)
(And the four colors in the four corners make me think of Windows software ;)
).
It seems a nice idea especially given the name "Flow" of the application,
though :) If the arrows would be less hidden by also having at least a little
arrow shape on the outside, perhaps it might work better, and also give a more
unique shape for better discoverage of the icon? Still, just arrows might need
too much thinking to bridge the icon to diagramming and flowcharting.

I first had to decode the Stage icon, but now that I got it, it makes sense to
me immediately when I see it. Like it a lot, for uniqueness and symbolism :)

Braindump icon looks funky as well to me :)

Author and Words, well, tough thing, look okayish to me, distinct enough to
know which one is for normal writing and which for poetry :)

Karbon one seems fine to me as well :)

Kexi is nice in its minimalism, though perhaps too much "db!" only. But
Jarosław is your man here :)

The Sheets icon is interesting, not in love with it, but could work.

TL;DR I would like another concept for the Plan icons; the Flow icon should be
touched more as well

Cheers
Friedrich