GPL code in LGPL libs

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Oct 20 13:07:32 BST 2014

On Monday 20 October
2014 Oct 08:05:24 Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> The current list is at https://community.kde.org/Calligra/Libs#License_cleanup

This is not a matter for a simple "clean-up" -- this is actually a serious problem.

These files come from digikam. We cannot simply relicense them:

main/thememanager.cpp
main/thememanager.h

I guess it's only really relevant for Krita, though, and for Krita I had to fork the komain library into a komvc library that only krita uses, in the mvc branch. I can make the fork definitive and remove these two files from komain. Then when the mvc branch is merged into master, the lgpl apps are fine again.

pigment/compositeops/KoOptimizedCompositeOpFactory.cpp
pigment/compositeops/KoOptimizedCompositeOpFactory.h
pigment/compositeops/KoOptimizedCompositeOpFactoryPerArch.cpp
pigment/compositeops/KoOptimizedCompositeOpFactoryPerArch.h
pigment/compositeops/KoOptimizedCompositeOpFactoryPerArch_Scalar.cpp
pigment/compositeops/KoStreamedMath.h
pigment/compositeops/KoVcMultiArchBuildSupport.h
pigment/KoColorDisplayRendererInterface.cpp
pigment/KoColorDisplayRendererInterface.h

These files are our own code, so we can simply swap out the license. I guess Dmitry had best do that, since he's the main author of these files.

vectorimage/libwmf/qwmf.cc
vectorimage/libwmf/qwmf.h

This is even trickier: these two files are not used at all, they are not built, but from checking through the code, it looks like the other wmf files actually are derived works from these two files, which means the entire vector image library should be gpl, and everything that uses the vector image: the vector sharpe, the karbon WMF filter and the Words epub filter.

The only way I can see that these can remain LGPL is by removing all wmf support from the vector image library.

widgets/KoContextBarButton.cpp
widgets/KoContextBarButton.h

These files actually don't seem to be used. I'll push their removal after I'm done recompiling.

--
Boudewijn Rempt