When to branch off 2.9 (was: Re: 2.8.7 and 2.9 release plan)

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Tue Nov 25 13:50:09 GMT 2014

On 2014-11-24 10:02, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> So to get the port done as quickly and clean as possible, I would vote
> for a
> complete freeze of master, until the port is done (which would be
> roughly a
> month I hope). And if master is frozen anyway, the port could also be
> directly
> done there.

Except that there are people who check out master just for testing, for
instance some of the artists in the Krita community (unless this has
changed?) and others in the KDE community. That is one of the actual
benefit behind "master is always" stable.

And even though, qt5 port is an exceptional matter, I think it is better
to follow as closely as possible our habits, this way it limits the
number of mistakes that we do.

So I would suggest:

* branch to 2.9 at beta 1
* freeze master, make it follow branch/2.9, we might even ask sysadmin
to restrict pushing to master to calligra git admins (that would be
Boudewijn and me)
* do the port in a separate branch

--
Cyrille Berger Skott