Regarding the matter of Calligra Gemini

Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen admin at leinir.dk
Wed Nov 12 16:06:57 GMT 2014

On Wednesday 12 Nov 2014 16:53:47 Cyrille Berger wrote:
> Hi Leinir!

  Heyhey Cyrille! :D

> I am all for a merge into master. Question is whether you want to have
> it released with 2.9?

  Nifty :) Yes, that would be something i'm very keen on happening - getting
as much exposure on it as we can, and new shiny always gains interest and
press and whatnot :)

> On 2014-11-08 23:13, Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen wrote:
> > Hi everybody! :)
> >
> >   As you're likely aware, over the last few months, i (with the
> >
> > assistance of
> > a couple of others) have been working on a new application for
> > Calligra, by
> > the name of Calligra Gemini. For those who don't know, it is an
> > application
> > encapsulating the Words and Stage components in a user interface
> > designed to
> > be able to work on touch enabled devices, and able to switch between
> > that and
> > the traditional desktop ui (hence also the name, gemini being the
> > conceptual
> > name for these dual-ui applications, which started with Krita Gemini).
>
> I am wondering, shouldn't then in the future gemini be merged into
> Words/Stage (depending on man power, of course)?

  Well, Krita Gemini is still, while residing inside the Krita application
subdirectory, not directly a part of Krita itself, and Calligra Gemini is
conceptually similar. It uses the Words and Stage desktop components the way
Krita Gemini uses the Krita one, but it isn't tightly bound. But yes, getting
as much of the work which is currently done in the Gemini wrapper into the
libraries and such would certainly be a good future plan. I'd suggest perhaps
waiting with that until post-3.0 though, since there's already work that needs
doing for that, of course, but it is worth keeping in mind when we come to
that point :)

> >   The branch in which it sits contains a number of changes to the rest
> >
> > of
> > Calligra, which has enabled the creation of Calligra Gemini, and given
> > the
> > reviewboard entry for those changes has now reached shipping status we
> > are now
> > at the point where the rest of that branch needs to be considered.
>
> I guess the rest of the branch is the application itself?

  Yup, the patch on RB is everything in the branch minus the gemini
application directory :)

> >   My proposal is thus:
> >   - As many people as possible have a try at compiling and running
> >
> > Calligra
> > Gemini to see it running (you'll need very up to date libgit2 and
> > libqgit2
> > packages (0.21.1 and 0.2.1 respectively), available for opensuse
> > here[1], and
> > for others i expect it'll be available from somewhere as well)
>
> libqgit don't seem to be in debian at all :( That said, they should
> package it we use it. And since, it is in a plugin in Gemini, maybe that
> should not be a hard requirement for building gemini?

  Unfortunately it's difficult to do that (the plugins are technically
plugins, but they are required as soon as you navigate to the cloud section of
the welcome page). Technically not a hard requirement, per se, but it would
take a not inconsiderable amount of work to get that split out further. Not to
say i wouldn't like it to happen, it's just a lot of work ;) But yes, perhaps
it could be made optional for building (and just disable the binary plugin) so
that it would be easier for people to test. I'll see what i can do about it :)

--
..Dan // Leinir..
http://leinir.dk/

                          Co-