How to merge rebased branch properly?

Dmitry Kazakov dimula73 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 12:40:11 BST 2013

Hi, Lukas!

The only problem of a rebasing a pushed branch is that you cannot push it
again due to non-fast-forward-merge. If your commits are not destroyed by
the rebase (that could happen with merge commits actually) you can still
push them into repository, but under a different HEAD.

So to do that you should:

1) git checkout krita-gmic-ltvrdy # checkout to your rebased branch
2) git checkout -b krita-gmic-ltvrdy-2nd-try # create a new branch, so that
no conflicts would happen
3) git push origin krita-gmic-ltvrdy-2nd-try

After that, if you think you commits in the branch are ok and bisectable,
you can merge this branch to master as usual.

On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Lukast dev <lukast.dev at gmail.com> wrote:

> DmitryK mentioned some other possibility to preserve history, to create
> another branch and merge that new branch.
>
> I would like to preserve the commits as I dropped some code that might be
> needed again and squash will destroy history
> of the branch.
>
> Dmitry,can you explain the solution with more details (git commands
> ideally)? What should be done to preserve history and have easy merge?
>
> Lukas
>

> 2013/9/7 Cyrille Berger <cberger at cberger.net>
>
>> Yes, never rebase commits that have already been pushed (git should not
>> even let you do that), and yes the calligra policy is to merge-squash.
>>
>> --
>> Cyrille Berger Skott

Dmitry Kazakov