Debian packaging: copyright and embeeded libs

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sat May 18 21:28:08 BST 2013

On Saturday 18 May 2013 May 22:14:00 Adrien wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some questions regarding the packaging of Calligra for Debian. For
> now we have Calligra 2.6.1 in experimental.
>
> – about copyright
>
> Debian requires to bulid a copyright files to know all the licences used.
> Using the licensecheck script, I got 21 different licenses for calligra, but
> some files are unclear :
>
> Some files like words/part/tests/TestTextFrameSorting.h have no mention of
> copyright. It's mainly the tests cases or some scripts in tools/script/.
> Should we assume it's the same license as in COPYING?

At one point, I think we had the explicit policy that unittests weren't going to have a license header. I don't know why... That was back in the KOffice days.

> The file tools/scripts/downloadMSOfficeDocuments.pl has a copyright mention,
> but without a licence. Should we assume it's the same license as in COPYING
> or is it non-free ?

Let's ask Jos -- I've cc'ed him. It's his file.

> Calligra contains embeed copies of some library, which are already packaged
> in Debian:
>   -  filters/words/msword-odf/wv2/
> (http://packages.qa.debian.org/w/wv2.html)

The wv2 in Calligra is different from the one on sourceforge (which is pretty much dead and no longer developed), that's why wv2 in filters/words/msword-odf creates a library called kowv2.

You cannot build Calligra against the sourceforge wv2.

>   - kexi/migration/mdb/ (http://packages.qa.debian.org/m/mdbtools.html)
>   - 3rdparty/kdgantt, provided by kdepim since 4.10 (currently in
> experimental).
>
> Debian forbid the embeeded libs, so should we use the external packages, or
> do you modified these libraries for calligra ?
>
> If you have any questions about the Debian packaging of Calligra, I will do
> my best to answer.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Adrien

Boudewijn Rempt