Rename Coffice?

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Mon Mar 25 20:52:07 GMT 2013

On 03/26/2013 03:42 AM, Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> On 03/26/2013 03:10 AM, Sebastian Sauer wrote:

>>> Calligra Mini is actually a very good name. If you plan to create
>>> minimal
>>> viewer versions for a number of architectures,
>>
>> Viewer and editor but yes, target is minimal in terms of package
>> size. As lesser bytes as better :)
>>
>>> I could get behind it and do
>>> some marketing...
>>
>> +0 re name (means no opinion);
>> For marketing I would suggest to wait 2-3 weeks till a new version
>> can be published that is a bit more mature.
>>
>> There is the issue with Google Play: it does not allow to rename the
>> internal package name but that's not visible to the user. In general
>> the question raises up if we like to turn that Google Play account
>> into a Calligra/KDE account rather then assigning it to me cause
>> currently its not only my name but also my private key that signs the
>> packages that are going to Google Play and F-Droid. +0 on that either
>> from me :)
>
> To give a bit more concrete technical insight into the
> publishing/signing process:
> That process is actually split. That means those who signs the package
> doesn't necessarily need to be identical with those who builds the
> package. But at least there needs to be strong trust more so if
> Calligra (or KDE by that matter) assigns there name/brand/trust.
>
> The problem I see currently is that the whole publishing is controlled
> (as in even not myself can change that) by me. It has a bus-factor of
> 1. If I am hit by a bus or vanish from today to tomorrow or just fail
> to proper backup my private Play publishing key the account is locked
> and no updates can be published. Also I have full control over the
> packaging up to the user-stats and nobody else has. Certainly not the
> best situation.
>
> iirc KDE signs its releases and so does Calligra. So, there must
> already be some workflow present to handle all that. That means that
> the only real problem there may that Calligra/KDE has no Google Play
> account (or?).

One more, one last, promised :) Thinking again: that very same problem
exists with our Linux Distributors to some degree or? Guess that means
if Calligra/KDE is not going to take that over I could at least make
very clear I act as distributor for code published. Not sure how to put
that in easy to understand words :-/