Please test the MPP/MPX import feature of Calligra Plan in master

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Thu Jun 6 22:09:33 BST 2013

Hi,

the last weeks I looked into how to make Calligra Plan's existing import
filter for MS Project (*.mpp) and MS Project Exchange (*.mpx) files working,
without needing the user to fuss around with installing and setting up more
stuff.

I managed things to work for me, and now would like to know if it works for
others as well, so it makes sense to backport to 2.7.

So please:

0. Get some MPP or MPX file you might have or can find on the net
1. Update to the latest commits on branch master of Calligra
2. Build & install
3. Fetch the runtime requirements (not yet packaged at least for OpenSUSE):
   Get e.g. mpxj-4.3.0.zip from http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpxj/files/
   and unpack the zip, then cp the files mpxj.jar and poi-3.7-20101029.jar
   to some place where java will find them automatically, unless you are okay
   with using an env var
4. Run calligraplan,
   if needed with the env var PLAN_CLASSPATH listing the two jar files, like
   PLAN_CLASSPATH=/path/to/mpxj.jar:/path/to/poi-3.7-20101029.jar calligraplan
5. Try to load that MPP or MPX file you prepared in 0.
6. Report success here or directly to me :)

I really would like to backport this to 2.7, as the code is around since 2.5
(see http://userbase.kde.org/Plan/Manual/Import_and_Export), just was lacking
the final polish in the installation setup. The runtime requirement needs the
packagers to do some more work, but they will prefer that over us simply
having our own copies of those jars and installing them.
Currently also planning to put a note about runtime requirements to the end of
the log of the cmake run, so chances are higher that people note them (already
added an entry to README.PACKAGERS for mpxj)

Backport needs the addition of some mimetypes to the mimetype datebase,
meaning some strings to translate. Would ask the translators for an exception.

Cheers
Friedrich