Problems with Calligra Active and mimetypes

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Feb 28 09:37:54 GMT 2013

On 26.02.2013 17:40, Shantanu Tushar Jha wrote:
> I have mixed feelings when I think about having a touch UI for each of
> the Calligra apps separately. On one side there are advantages that you
> mentioned, but then it seems as if there will be too much work and/or
> duplication. Again, I am not very sure and this definitely looks like
> sprint discussion material, what do you think?

I don't expect the UIs for different applications to be any more similar
to each other in the Active than in the Desktop versions when it comes
to actually editing/creating files, to be honest. The desktop Calligra
applications have shown that the amount of UI that can be shared between
different productivity applications is limited. KOffice 2 started out
with very similar UIs between the applications, but it seems that they
have diverged a lot since then, simply because optimizing each
application for its particular purpose turned out to work better than
keeping them similar for similarity's sake.
Yes, there are still many things that can be reused, but there are many
things individual to each application, too, and I don't expect that to
be different in the Active context.