Check for Qt classes that should not be used

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 00:20:46 GMT 2013

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 12:07 PM, Jean-Nicolas Artaud
<jeannicolasartaud at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/2/20 Sven Langkamp <sven.langkamp at gmail.com>
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Inge Wallin <inge at lysator.liu.se> wrote:
>> > As you may have noticed, I have taken some interest in EBN, the KDE
>> > static
>> > code checker[1]. One of the categories there is "Check for Qt classes
>> > that
>> > should not be used" where it recommends to use e.g. KTabBar instead of
>> > QTabBar
>> > and so on.
>> >
>> > What's our opinion on that?  That should be something very simple to
>> > build
>> > into fixsrc.py but I hesitate to do it because I don't know what our
>> > motivations for not doing it to such a high degree is. Lack of support
>> > in
>> > KDevelop / Qt Creator? The programmer didn't know they exist?  Something
>> > else?
>> >
>> >         -Inge
>> >

>> > [1]http://englishbreakfastnetwork.org/krazy/index.php?component=bundled-
>> > apps&module=calligra
>>
>> I saw that too recently and I think that these classes shouldn't be
>> changed because KDE Frameworks goes into the exact opposite direction.
>> I mailed Allan Winter about that some time, but didn't get an answer.

> Maybe contacting ervin at kde dot org could help too, he is totally involved
> in KDE
> frameworks. I do agree with you Sven on the fact that "KDE Frameworks goes
> into
> the exact opposite direction". By the way, that doesn't mean that every part
> of the
> KDE libs has to be forgotten. KDE needs things that Qt doesn't have, and
> Frameworks
> just explose things, to be Qt nearer and nearer.

Looks like Inge and I did contacted him independently. He mentioned
that it's still a long time till KDE Frameworks and that the checks
are still valid for consistency reasons.
In my opinion the visual difference is almost invisible and the change
not really needed. So I would either blacklist the check or give it a
very low priority.