Mobi export filter continues crashing... (was: Re: 2.6.0 tag is set on...)

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Mon Feb 4 18:28:45 GMT 2013

Am Montag, 4. Februar 2013, 15:33:05 schrieb Inge Wallin:
> On Monday, February 04, 2013 10:00:05 Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > The conclusion on IRC was to reenable it for 2.6.1 (in two weeks).
>
> That sucks badly for Calligra Author since the only thing that we can
> actually say that we bring to the table is ebook export.

As long as Author does not have an icon it does not exist ;)

> The filter was arbitrarily disabled due to a crash, then *not* reenabled
> when the crash was fixed. The disabling was done by people who are not
> involved in Author and I'm pretty sure the same is true for the IRC
> discussion.

That filter is also used by Words and calligraconvertor, so I am surprised
that you feel so bound to it, sorry. Problem is also that there is no
dedicated component for this filter (seems that is true for most?), and
calligraauthor just has a "general" component, so how could I know :)

> What I am - actually - a little bitter about is that the filter was just
> disabled without any discussion with me the very day before the tagging.

It crashed for two persons at least, with random documents. And when I looked
at the algorithm it did not really make a perfect impression to me, also the
bunch of warnings which you got when compiling. So it seemed a sane thing to
just disable it for now, especially so close before a release when there is no
proper time for investigation, fixing and testing. And a release is not the
end, there will e.g. be 2.6.1 soon.

Also, I contacted the maintainer of the filter (moji) in the commit and once
he pinged me on irc I helped him to find the problem, even if I had other
things to do which are more important for me. Also pinged you about this the
moment you appeared on irc.
I would do it like this again.

> And
> now the IRC discussion, also without me, came to the conclusion that it's
> not so important and that it can just wait two weeks. If you ask me, it
> can't wait two weeks because half of the reason for Author 2.6 has just
> disappeared.

So proof there is not enough reason for now? :P

"Author 2.6" sounds like a mature application to me. But where is it in
http://userbase.kde.org/Calligra and http://community.kde.org/Calligra ? Not
existing :(

What is the purpose of releasing Author already now? What do people gain from
it over Words? Sorry to hear you being a little bitter. But I miss the point.
Actually I think we saved ourselves quite a few bug reports and disappointed
users. Unless we are okay with an image "Calligra is failware".

And to show even more commitment here the result of a test against the test
docs I pulled from boud's server (because "would be good" will not make it
happen, so I did it, even if not maintainer):

testdocs/documents> ls *.{doc,docx,odt} -1 | wc -l
863
testdocs/documents> for f in *.{doc,docx,odt}; do KDE_DEBUG=1
calligraconverter $f test.mobi  || echo "Failed for $f..." >> result.txt; done
5d8d95ae6dd29e1d03718e7b9579b78e80fdb78c
testdocs/documents> cat result.txt
Failed for
www.mass.gov%2FEoaf%2Fdocs%2Fosd%2Foutreach%2Fenews%2Fdefault.doc...
Failed for www.gownarama.com%2Fimages%2Fmay22pageantapp.docx...
Failed for
groups.drupal.org%2Ffiles%2FCaching%20in%20Drupal%20-%20APC%20and%20Memcached,
%20CacheRouter%20and%20Memcache%20API_%30.odt...
Failed for
wiki.documentfoundation.org%2Fcgi_img_auth.php%2Fc%2Fce%2F%302%305WG3-
PrintingExportingEmailing.odt...
Failed for
wiki.documentfoundation.org%2Fcgi_img_auth.php%2Fe%2Fe9%2F%301%303GS3-
StylesAndTemplates.odt...
Failed for wiki.services.openoffice.org%2Fw%2Fimages%2F9%2F91%2F%305%308IG3-
SlidesNotesHandouts.odt...
Failed for www.andreacaccese.com%2Fandreabio.doc.odt...
Failed for www.ascience-
thematic.net%2Ffiles%2FMathInODF_Paris_2%30%308%30228_final.odt...
Failed for www.cherokee-
project.com%2Fstatic%2Fdoc%2FCherokee_Contribution_Agreement_v1.odt...
Failed for
www.minipimer.tv%2Ftxt%2F2%301%3012%302%2FWrigt_Molly_ANetworkOfConstantInteractionsAndCommunications.odt...
Failed for
www.mwsmediapodcasts.com%2Fmedia%2Fdocuments%2Fdigitalyouth%2Fhangingoutmessingaroundgeekingout.odt...
Failed for www.openhistory.org%2Fjhdp%2Fdownload%2Fdev-
current%2Fencyclopedia%2Fejh.odt...
Failed for
www.tutorialsforopenoffice.org%2Ftutorial%2FThe_Miscellaneous_Icons_And_Scroll_Bars.odt...

Means the mobi filter possibly crashed in 13 of 863 files for me. With latest
2.6. And most of the files I checked, got backtrace into mobi export filter.

I would disable it again, to be honest :)

Inge, could you run the test on your machine as well and compare? Then we can
see which files Moji might be able to take to fix the remaining issue(s).
Anyone else interested is also welcome.

Moji, I will send the ones failing for me (listed above) to you, so you can
give them a check. Or do you have a good internet connection and could simply
download some 1.6 GB?

Cheers
Friedrich