Review Request 109980: Load styles into a new, more generic style manager

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Tue Apr 16 17:59:01 BST 2013

On 04/13/2013 08:37 PM, Inge Wallin wrote:
> (Note to zagge: sorry for double sending this, the first reply lost the
> caligra-devel recipient for some reason.)
>
> On Saturday, April 13, 2013 14:14:40 Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>>> Here is step 2 in the plan to create a docx export filter.
>>>
>>> It contains code to load styles into a decently generic style manager. The
>>> main use of this version will be as a much faster alternative to
>>> KoOdfStylesReader that forces you to reparse the XML of all styles that
>>> you
>>> want to access. This code loads the style content into more easily
>>> accessed
>>> data structures. The current version only supports the Text, Paragraph,
>>> and
>>> Graphic families because that's what we need in the docx filter.
>>>
>>> I also have a half-finished patch of Karbon that makes it load, store and
>>> save graphics styles which it currently discards in all odg files. However
>>> that turned out to be more difficult than expected because the text based
>>> style manager in libs/kotext doesn't allow anybody to save any styles
>>> outside itself so I'm postponing that into a separate patch. This way we
>>> can start using these styles when doing the docx export.
>>>
>>> As a side note, I have also included a new innovative XML stream reader
>>> which I will port the odf traverser to.
>> I'm a bit unhappy that this was put into libs while for now only the docx
>> export filter is going to use it. Unfortunately the review was not open very
>> long so I could raise my voice before it was committed. I think this should
>> be move to the docx filter for now as now it gives a toatally wrong
>> impression in the libs.

+1
+it makes the odf lib bigger with things not related.
+introduces names that make, at a first look, the impression as its
related to odflib while its not.
+ We are not force to out everything into the same lib... its even very
useful to proper split things to make maintaining, understanding,
reusing easier. E.g. why should I need to build this for coffice (which
neither has Karbon nor export included).

>>   Also I'm not sure it will be easily be useable for
>> how we handle styles currently in the applications. If we have it
>> integrated and well tested in more then one component then I think would be
>> the right time to put it into libs.
> I see what you mean.  Maybe I was not clear enough in the review but it's not
> only going to be used in the filters.  If that had been the case I would indeed
> have put it under filters/.  The docx filter is only the first user.
>
> As I think I wrote in the review request I have a half-finished patch that uses
> this and that lets Karbon retain the graphic styles that it currently
> discards.  I think that's a very important fix and it has bugged me for a long
> time that it doesn't preserve them.  I will finish this and put it up for
> review so you can see how it can be used in  one of the applications too.

then make it an own lib shared between Karbon and export filters? :)