Review Request 109980: Load styles into a new, more generic style manager

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Sat Apr 13 14:37:07 BST 2013

(Note to zagge: sorry for double sending this, the first reply lost the
caligra-devel recipient for some reason.)

On Saturday, April 13, 2013 14:14:40 Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > Here is step 2 in the plan to create a docx export filter.
> >
> > It contains code to load styles into a decently generic style manager. The
> > main use of this version will be as a much faster alternative to
> > KoOdfStylesReader that forces you to reparse the XML of all styles that
> > you
> > want to access. This code loads the style content into more easily
> > accessed
> > data structures. The current version only supports the Text, Paragraph,
> > and
> > Graphic families because that's what we need in the docx filter.
> >
> > I also have a half-finished patch of Karbon that makes it load, store and
> > save graphics styles which it currently discards in all odg files. However
> > that turned out to be more difficult than expected because the text based
> > style manager in libs/kotext doesn't allow anybody to save any styles
> > outside itself so I'm postponing that into a separate patch. This way we
> > can start using these styles when doing the docx export.
> >
> > As a side note, I have also included a new innovative XML stream reader
> > which I will port the odf traverser to.
>
> I'm a bit unhappy that this was put into libs while for now only the docx
> export filter is going to use it. Unfortunately the review was not open very
> long so I could raise my voice before it was committed. I think this should
> be move to the docx filter for now as now it gives a toatally wrong
> impression in the libs. Also I'm not sure it will be easily be useable for
> how we handle styles currently in the applications. If we have it
> integrated and well tested in more then one component then I think would be
> the right time to put it into libs.

I see what you mean.  Maybe I was not clear enough in the review but it's not
only going to be used in the filters.  If that had been the case I would indeed
have put it under filters/.  The docx filter is only the first user.

As I think I wrote in the review request I have a half-finished patch that uses
this and that lets Karbon retain the graphic styles that it currently
discards.  I think that's a very important fix and it has bugged me for a long
time that it doesn't preserve them.  I will finish this and put it up for
review so you can see how it can be used in  one of the applications too.