Using Sheets as a library

Philip Van Hoof philip at codeminded.be
Mon Nov 26 08:33:42 GMT 2012

On Mon, 2012-11-26 at 09:22 +0100, Philip Van Hoof wrote:

Uhrg, Monday morning. I'm not awake yet. I promise I will get coffee in
a minute.

> I also noticed that all the files under sheets/ are annotated at the top

So this isn't correct. Not all the files under sheets/ are annotated at
the top to be LGPL. Instead, some in dialogs (which are needed) and two
files in tests (which aren't necessarily needed) are annotated at the
top to be GPL.

The files in sheets/dialogs/ imply that Sheets turns into GPL unless you
rewrite those ui files. This is a bit sad and silly because rewriting
a .ui file is of course not difficult, and at the same time it means
that using a non-patched Calligra/sheets/* with just the CMakeFile.txt
adaptations to turn it into a public library with a mini SDK by exposing
its .h files; isn't possible (I would have to make the .ui files again).

> for the LGPL copyright. I saw two copyrights in the Calligra main
> directory, COPYING and COPYING.LIB, can I assume that what falls under
> sheets is LGPL? This is important for my application and I think for
> making it more easy to reuse sheets/ as a library too.

I answered I myself: because of the .ui files I can't assume this (I
know, sorry, the coffee is now being applied to the developer).

I however wonder whether you guys are ok with relicensing? :-)

> These files have the GNU General Public License instead of the GNU
> Library General Public License. Will I have to rewrite the files or is
> the Calligra team AND are the original authors OK with assuming they
> were wrongly annotated as LGPL? In that case, can I provide a patch that
> changes the license for the files from GPL to LGPL? Should I await an OK
> from every author of all the files?
>
> pvanhoof at lors:~/repos/kde4/calligra/sheets$ grep "GNU General" * -R |
> cut -d ":" -f -1 | sort | uniq
> dialogs/ConsolidateDetailsWidget.ui
> dialogs/ConsolidateWidget.ui
> dialogs/GoalSeekWidget.ui
> dialogs/SortDetailsWidget.ui
> dialogs/SortWidget.ui
> dialogs/SpecialPasteWidget.ui
> dialogs/SubtotalsDetailsWidget.ui
> tests/BenchmarkRTree.cpp
> tests/BenchmarkRTree.h
> pvanhoof at lors:~/repos/kde4/calligra/sheets$
>

> pvanhoof at lors:~/repos/kde4/calligra/sheets$ for a in `grep "GNU General" * -R | cut -d ":" -f -1 | sort | uniq` ; do grep Copyright $a ; doneCopyright 2010 Stefan Nikolaus <stefan.nikolaus at kdemail.net>
> Copyright 2010 Stefan Nikolaus <stefan.nikolaus at kdemail.net>
> Copyright 2009 Stefan Nikolaus <stefan.nikolaus at kdemail.net>
> Copyright 2010 Stefan Nikolaus <stefan.nikolaus at kdemail.net>
> Copyright 2010 Stefan Nikolaus <stefan.nikolaus at kdemail.net>
> Copyright (C) 2006 Stefan Nikolaus <stefan.nikolaus at kdemail.net>
> Copyright 2010 Stefan Nikolaus <stefan.nikolaus at kdemail.net>
>    Copyright (C) 2006 Stefan Nikolaus <stefan.nikolaus at kdemail.net>
>    Copyright (C) 2006 Stefan Nikolaus <stefan.nikolaus at kdemail.net>
>    Copyright (C) 2010 Marijn Kruisselbrink <mkruisselbrink at kde.org>
> pvanhoof at lors:~/repos/kde4/calligra/sheets$

At least my grep and cut magic looks right. But perhaps the command
missed a file?

Kind regards and apologizes for the first Monday-morning E-mail.

;)

Philip

--

Philip Van Hoof