Workspace proposal

C. Boemann cbo at boemann.dk
Tue Nov 20 21:27:31 GMT 2012

On Tuesday 20 November 2012 22:05:48 Sven Langkamp wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have been discussing this on IRC with boemann and ingwa and to clear
> things up I did write it down.
>
> This a proposal for a new UI for our tool docker/box UI. Proposal can
> be found here: http://depot.tu-dortmund.de/get/r6n9u
>
> This is just a thing that I would like to see in Words/Stage. Might
> even be that I'm too much thinking as a developer there ;)
> Would be interesting to hear what you think about.

Thanks a lot - I saw it earlier today so I've had time to think a bit

There are many things about it I like, which is why I asked you to actually
write it down.

However I think there is a big downside to what you are describing. The user
can shift tool by double clicking and that means the tool inside a workspace
will change, and without a toolbox we have a problem

Also you say the user should be able to create new workspaces, well for that
to work the user would need to be able to select the tool.

Also the closing and opening of dockers gave us problems in the past. This may
work for krita where workspaces are much more long lived. In words, stage,
sheets the user will be changing workspace much more frequently.

So I was thinking much of a mix between what we have now and what you
suggest. Actually just a new "skin" to the current behavior. But a new skin
that will free up vertical space allowing us to reintroduced the disabled
tools.

Thinking some more..and thanks again for taking the time to describe it