Review Request: libs/vectorimage

Stuart Dickson stuart.dickson at kogmbh.com
Tue Nov 13 17:31:23 GMT 2012

On 12/11/2012 22:54, Inge Wallin wrote:
> On Monday, November 12, 2012 19:04:25 Stuart Dickson wrote:
>> A single library for managing EMF, SVM and WMF files.
>>
>> I have submitted commits to the branch: libs-vectorimage-stuartmd-forreview
>> Only the last three are relevant to the libs/vectorimage work - the diff
>> may be generated with the call:
>> git diff c55ec6499c5ead6d6a9b434651ab31f92d8b0b8b
> Hmm, this generated a completely unrelated diff that adds KDGANTT_EXPORT to
> the exported classes in kdgantt/. Did you or I do something wrong?
>
> As a side note, notice that kdgantt/ is an imported library from KDAB just
> like plugins/vectorshape/kdchart/*. If you patch it, your patches will be lost
> when kdgantt is updated with a new version unless you save the patches and
> reapply them to the new version.  We do this in the chart shape; see
> plugins/chartshape/kdchartpatches/*. Perhaps you can do something similar for
> kdgantt. (As a side side note, I'm not sure why kdgantt/ is under / in
> Calligra instead of under /libs/).
>
>> In reviewing master branch, it was determined that the problem building
>> the epub export filter lay in the way it was trying to use the vector
>> image libraries already present in plugins/vectorshape and
>> filters/kolibwmf. (This problem may have only really manifested on
>> Windows, owing to the way it handles shared libraries).
> As far as I know there is no vector image library in plugins/vectorshape. But
> there are a number of classes that implement support for these formats.
> However they are not used to create a library but are recompiled everywhere
> they are used. This is ugly but apparently it never causes any problem on
> Linux. It is good that the classes are moved to a real library.
>
>> There had already been a suggestion that, as there was already some
>> awkward coupling of plugins, and filters and knowledge of the location
>> of the sources required, that moving the library code for EMF, SVM and
>> WMF vector file formats into their own library would be the best way
>> forward.
> Yeah, indeed.
>
>> This patch creates the library and makes the necessary changes to its
>> dependents and has been tested to function on the Windows platform.
> I couldn't see that (see above), but I am interested in reviewing the patch.
>
>> Regards
>> Stuart
>>

>> -- Stuart Dickson
>> // KO GmbH http://kogmbh.com/legal/
I've pushed an update to use a single VECTORIMAGE_EXPORT macro across
the entire library, and replaced the existing *_export headers with just
a single one for the library.

I've not merged with master since last night - wasn't sure if this was
useful at this stage or not - if anything it would further complicate
the process of grabbing a usable diff macro from it?

I've tested the results of the build and everything works as it did
before - though this is how I identified an error with WMF export which
existed in the existing calligra-master source.