Review Request: libs/vectorimage

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Mon Nov 12 22:54:31 GMT 2012

On Monday, November 12, 2012 19:04:25 Stuart Dickson wrote:
> A single library for managing EMF, SVM and WMF files.
>
> I have submitted commits to the branch: libs-vectorimage-stuartmd-forreview
> Only the last three are relevant to the libs/vectorimage work - the diff
> may be generated with the call:
> git diff c55ec6499c5ead6d6a9b434651ab31f92d8b0b8b

Hmm, this generated a completely unrelated diff that adds KDGANTT_EXPORT to
the exported classes in kdgantt/. Did you or I do something wrong?

As a side note, notice that kdgantt/ is an imported library from KDAB just
like plugins/vectorshape/kdchart/*. If you patch it, your patches will be lost
when kdgantt is updated with a new version unless you save the patches and
reapply them to the new version.  We do this in the chart shape; see
plugins/chartshape/kdchartpatches/*. Perhaps you can do something similar for
kdgantt. (As a side side note, I'm not sure why kdgantt/ is under / in
Calligra instead of under /libs/).

> In reviewing master branch, it was determined that the problem building
> the epub export filter lay in the way it was trying to use the vector
> image libraries already present in plugins/vectorshape and
> filters/kolibwmf. (This problem may have only really manifested on
> Windows, owing to the way it handles shared libraries).

As far as I know there is no vector image library in plugins/vectorshape. But
there are a number of classes that implement support for these formats.
However they are not used to create a library but are recompiled everywhere
they are used. This is ugly but apparently it never causes any problem on
Linux. It is good that the classes are moved to a real library.

> There had already been a suggestion that, as there was already some
> awkward coupling of plugins, and filters and knowledge of the location
> of the sources required, that moving the library code for EMF, SVM and
> WMF vector file formats into their own library would be the best way
> forward.

Yeah, indeed.

> This patch creates the library and makes the necessary changes to its
> dependents and has been tested to function on the Windows platform.

I couldn't see that (see above), but I am interested in reviewing the patch.