Mac OS X - quo vadis calligra, calligraconverter

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Wed May 30 13:48:09 BST 2012

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, 30. Mai 2012, 12:31:45 schrieb matus.uzak at gmail.com:
> Hi,
>
> I have had some time to socialize a bit and I have spent it by asking
> Mac users which office suite do they use. :)
> And the answer was OOo or LO recently. They simply have to deal with
> Microsoft office formats and communicate
> with people using MS Office on MS Windows.

And iWork sucks at that? After all they claim support*. Or is too expensive? I
would have guessed that iWork (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) is the natural choice
on OS X. Hm, all already 3 years old? So I guess they just suck to a degree :)
Or have a too unfamiliar interface/UX, compared to what people are trained to.
All guess work here.

* http://www.apple.com/iwork/compatibility/

> -----
>
> Then I mentioned calligraconverter to people working at science
> academy and university.  They were impressed
> that there's a command line tool enabling them batch conversions and
> can be included into scripts.

Did they also mention what would be their typical use cases for this tool?

> And there's
> no information at calligra.org about calligraconverter.
>
> Let's provide an option to download calligraconverter as a separate
> package.  Mac OS X and GNU Linux users
> can still use OOo/LO to edit and save files to MIcrosoft formats but
> use calligraconverter to deal with OOXML.

+1

You made calligraconverter for a reason, there is demand for it.
Now if you want people to join the community around that product as users, it
needs to be googlable/discoverable and easily gettable. Nothing new, but just
be consequent :)

Cheers
Friedrich