Mac OS X - quo vadis calligra, calligraconverter

matus.uzak at gmail.com matus.uzak at gmail.com
Wed May 30 11:31:45 BST 2012

Hi,

I have had some time to socialize a bit and I have spent it by asking
Mac users which office suite do they use. :)
And the answer was OOo or LO recently. They simply have to deal with
Microsoft office formats and communicate
with people using MS Office on MS Windows.

We know that the current OOXML support in OOo/LO is let's say "not any
good".  Why don't we use the chance?
I think if we would invest additional time to improve OOXML filters
and usability we could score big!
Export to OOXML could then make us the winner.  At the moment we are
not even number 2, because Mac users
are not aware of calligra.

At the moment the get-calligra page [1] states "There is also
preliminary support on Mac OS X",
but there's nothing like a package or even the Mac keyword at that location.

-----

Then I mentioned calligraconverter to people working at science
academy and university.  They were impressed
that there's a command line tool enabling them batch conversions and
can be included into scripts.  And there's
no information at calligra.org about calligraconverter.

Let's provide an option to download calligraconverter as a separate
package.  Mac OS X and GNU Linux users
can still use OOo/LO to edit and save files to MIcrosoft formats but
use calligraconverter to deal with OOXML.

I know that we could use a long time sponsor but to propagate calligra
a bit more could help us to get some sponsorship,
attract new contributors and increase the number of bug reports.

[1] http://www.calligra.org/get-calligra/

br,

-matus uzak