Announcement of 2.5alpha -- what to highlight?

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Mon May 28 15:28:08 BST 2012

On Monday, May 28, 2012 16:14:51 Markus wrote:
> Am Montag 28 Mai 2012, 15:06:37 schrieb Inge Wallin:
> > Another thing: I know that Boemann is targetting academic users with
> > Words.
>
> Just a hint from someone with a little experience in KDE Promo: Be careful
> how you phrase that. "Target" can mean a lot. With formula support being
> worked on SOC, I suppose the natural sciences are not the main target of
> that release. So probably the humanities. If by "target" it is meant that
> Words 2.5.0 is intended to be fully recommended for that audience, great,
> but then it should really be 100% ready.

Good point. In this case it means something like "has in mind when
prioritizing features". And as we all know, it's not 100% ready yet.

> However it may be wise to underline that despite its version number Words
> is a completely new application and that for the upcoming one or two
> release cycles are meant to make Words academia-friendly and that students
> and teachers are the foremost audience to be asked to file bug reports.
> 2.5.0 may be communicated to be ready for academic presentations and
> abstracts in the humanities, 2.6.0 extends that to natural sciences, and
> 2.7.0 might be ready for a 100+ pages thesis, incl. automatic hyphenation
> support etc.

Also good points.  But I'll wait with these distinctions until 2.5.0 is
announced. This time it's little less than a formal announcement and a few
hightlights of new features.

	-Inge