Building on Windows

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed May 23 13:04:17 BST 2012

On Wednesday 23 May 2012 May, Taco H. in den Bosch wrote:
> Hi Boudewijn,
>
> If you have read my mail carefully then you know that I have only created
> my own project files because the official build instructions do not seem to
> work for me.

Hey, I don't dispute that you created your own build system because you couldn't get the real build system to work. I totally understood that from your earilier mail. But it's still the wrong thing to do.

Not only is your own build system unlikely to work out in the first place, in the second place, because it's your own, it's not something either the community (as in this mailing list) or KO GmbH (being experienced with consulting around Calligra) can help you with.

> At least one issue that I encountered is verified by Ivan
> Miraglia as a known issue, so others may be too.

Getting a good, working revision of the kde dependencies may be a bit tricky. But once you get the dependencies built, Calligra compiles fine, I just did that again this morning.

If there's a problem with the instructions at http://community.kde.org/Calligra/Building_Calligra_on_Windows, those need to be fixed.

If you encounter problems in the emerge phase, then #kde-windows on freenode or <kde-windows at kde.org>. Stuff breaks all the time, that's the problem with the emerge model. If Nokia renames the jom download, you'll have to fix that or work around it. Usually, it's pretty easy.

> I would prefer having a working official build procedure, but as a
> workaround I am working on my own solution.

Sorry, that's really not a good idea. It wouldn't be a good idea if you were intimately familiar with Calligra and KDE. If you encounter problems, those should be fixed, not worked around by creating another build system.

> For all components but the
> 'words' component this was relatively straightforward. The 'words'
> component is giving me more problems.
>
> I may indeed have added source files that should be excluded. If so, I
> would like to know which.

Check the CMakeLists.txt files. They will tell you exactly what is compiled and what isn't. They will tell you what depends on what -- in short, they are a complete description of how calligra should be built. (And can generate sln files as well, but I never tried those.)

> It is not the only problem, though. For example
> the meta object compiler result for KWFrameLayout does not compile, giving
> the error below. And excluding this file is not an option because other
> code in the project depends upon it.

I just checked again, and all of Words compiled fine -- so it must be something in the way you setup your stuff.

--
Boudewijn Rempt